PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket  photo privacypolicy_1a_zps3faf1863.png

Monday, December 23, 2013

Spotlight: Asha from GirlTalk HQ


We first came into contact with Asha when we first launched The Sorority Secrets. We really admired her outspokenness and quest to empower and enlighten women through her platform, GirlTalk HQ, which you will learn more about. Asha is not a sorority woman, but she reminds us that we are all in a sisterhood as woman as we continue to stand up for our rights and uplift each other. Asha wears many hats so we sat down with her to learn more about her--check out our Q&A session below!

1. The Sorority Secrets' embraces diversity and we love how well-rounded you are. Tell us about your journey and how you ended up in LA?
I studied a Bachelor of Arts majoring in Film, media and journalism at Griffith University in Australia, and started working in TV in my final year. I had an agent and would regularly audition for jobs as well as do background extra work. I worked for 5 years in Sydney on some pretty major networks like Nine Network Australia, Fox, MTV, Disney and Fashion TV before deciding I wanted to further my opportunities overseas. I moved to Los Angeles Feb 2008 and 4 months later landed a job hosting a huge Nickelodeon show in Florida. Despite the economy crash and employment being hard to find, I have hustled a lot over the past 5 years in LA and hosted, written and produced content for MSN.com, Myspace.com, Mahalo.com, TV Guide Network and had some small acting roles on ABC's 'No Ordinary Family', a Wells Fargo Commercial and a new Bil Paxton/Jon Hamm baseball movie called 'The Million Dollar Arm Contest' coming out in 2014. 

I really love LA for the variety of opportunities available and the unique path you can create for yourself than aren't necessarily possible elsewhere.

2. GirlTalk HQ is such an amazing, inspiring site for young women. What inspired you to start GirlTalk HQ?
Thank you! I realized, after being an entertainment/pop culture host for 10 years, I needed to find my passion. I wasn't just passionate about celebrities. I figured out, after going through some personal struggles, that I really wanted to do something to empower my generation of women. I saw what Oprah was doing for her age group and wondered "why isn't anyone doing this for the younger women?" I was so sick of seeing girls tear each other down, compete and just buy into the media hype of slagging each other off, and picking apart a woman's appearance to make ourselves feel better. Where was the support, encouragement and celebration of each other? 
I started girltalkhq.com and intend it to be THE number 1 go-to daily newsmedia site for young women to come and find articles that will inspire and empower them. I wanted it to be the only media site in the world aimed at women that only contains positive messages, as there are plenty of negative and bitchy sites out there. Once I figured out my passion, and did something about it, I finally found my calling in life and realized what all my TV experience was useful for. 

3. How did you start your career in TV hosting?
I had an agent in Australia who would send me to various auditions. It's funny because originally I thought I wanted to be an actress. But in my final year at University, I auditioned for a daily kid show on a big network in Australia where we had to write our own script and showcase who we were. I got the job, beating out hundreds of other people. And then it clicked to me, I didn't want to be an actress, I wanted to be myself on camera. I love talking to people and am much more comfortable being myself than playing a character. So that was a huge revelation for me. Once I figured that out, I just kept going from job to job without a break in between for 5 years! 

4. What are your thoughts on body image for the younger generation? How do you think the media plays a role in that?
The media plays a huge role, as well as fashion and advertising. Because of a handful of key power people at the top of those industries, especially fashion, we were all taught to think that skinny is beautiful, the ONLY way to be beautiful. Thanks to the media, we are taught as young women that being a reality TV celebrity is the only way to be considered successful. Thanks to certain types of advertising, we are made to feel anxious about ourselves, we have a lot of self-loathing and low-self-esteem as this is a marketing strategy to make consumers buy their products. Once we buy the product we will only then feel confident, happy, beautiful, successful, intelligent etc. 

But thankfully there are many organizations and women who are taking a stand and blowing the lid on this controversy. They are showing the next generation what reality looks like, and are promoting positive messages relating to self-esteem, body image, success and individuality. 

5.  If you could trade places with any celebrity for 24 hours, who would you trade places with and why?
Hmmmm. I'd say Oprah Winfrey. I would love to know what it is like to be the world's biggest female media mogul, and see what it really takes to run a successful network which she created herself. I would love to walk in the shoes of a pioneer woman like her! 

6.  What are 3 different beauty products you can't live without?
Bio Oil. It helps with my dry skin and works magic on scars! 
Mitch Stone Essentials Lustre Drops. I get frizzy hair after I wash and dry it. This serum flattens the frizz and makes my hair shiny. 
My red blast flipstick from Covergirl. It is a lip stain. I don't wear a lot of heavy makeup, but having color on my lip makes me feel all dolled up! 

7.  How was it being involved with Tyra Banks' Show, America's Next Top Model? What was your favorite moment on the show?
It has to be one of my favorite recurring jobs. The show films for 3.5 months at a time so it's a great freelance gig for me in between other jobs. I have been the photo shoot coordinator for 5 seasons and absolutely love it! I have made a lot of good friends on the crew, traveled to some amazing places (Toronto, Macau, Hong Kong, Jamaica and Bali) and love the fast-paced high energy of creating a show like this. I have personally enjoyed seeing the creative process of a fashion photo shoot come together, as well as seeing Tyra Banks herself be a host, executive producer, decision maker, photographer, makeup artist and mentor on the show. She is incredible and a huge inspiration to me. 

I can't say I have one favorite moment, but I love the travel, and making friends with the local crews we work with there, and all the awesome freebies I have gotten over the past couple of years! 

8.  LA can be a tough crowd. How do you stay grounded? 
I have a few things. Not all of my friends work in the industry so I get to have a healthy balance in my social life. Learning to acknowledge that work is work, and you have to sometimes "check out" or "sign off" to give yourself a break, especially if you work in digital media like I do. I love to read, go to the beach, go for walks and eat good food. I don't go out or drink a lot, and I don't go to a lot of parties, except when it is for work or networking.  I also go to church and meditate and pray a lot. That helps give me a bigger life perspective so that I can daily acknowledge that the world does not revolve around me, but I have a duty to be the best ambassador and contribute with the gifts and talents I have been given for a positive reason. 

9.  What are some of the greatest lessons you have learned being in the TV/Entertainment industry?
Listen and observe. Don't be too quick to promote yourself or think highly of yourself. Do you research, learn as much as possible, always find ways to improve and get better at your craft. Be aware of your digital presence, as it will be a key indicator to potential employers of who you are outside of work hours. Most of all, remember it is entertainment, so have fun and don't take yourself too seriously. Stay humble always! 

10. If you could be remembered for only one thing, what would you want it to be?
Being a promoter of positive, inspiring and empowering messages for millenial women, through the media. I want to be remembered as the young woman who was the biggest supporter and encourager of them all, who lead a generation of women to think, feel and act the same to their fellow sisters. 

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...